This topic contains 29 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Al Al 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

This topic shows comments from the Connector Selector page – add your message to the thread below.

Profile photo of Joe J
    Joe J
    Participant

There is also a CHAdeMO adaptor which Tesla sell, which works if your car is Supercharger enabled. Also, I’m pretty sure the R.AC doesn’t give 80% in 30 mins, as that’s what it does to the Renault ZOE, my guess is it’d probably take more like an hour and a half to give you 80% with the Tesla.

Hi Joe,

Good points well made – well get the CHAdeMO option on the Tesla Model S options results.

The timings are proving difficult for PHEVs and Tesla EVs as the battery capacities are relatively small or large – as a result our generic text isn’t quite working – we are looking to make all the information text model specific which we will implement over the next few weeks. Bear with us and well improve the info.

Hope you find the new Zap-Map website useful.

Ben (Zap-Map)

Profile photo of Joe J
        Joe J
        Participant

I like the new website a lot. I was wondering why the R.A.C compatibility has now been removed, can the Model S not actually not take R.A.C? I e-mailed Tesla but got no reply. In fact, what cars take R.A.C apart from the Zoe?

We had to remove some options temporarily while we made the system work better for the Model S – it wasn’t simple I can tell you!

But we hope the info is now correct and useful.

Profile photo of Joe J
        Joe J
        Participant

Oh, and another thing I don’t understand. Why has Europe decided to go with Combo DC, when surely R.A.C is simpler as it just uses the same one socket, would therefore be more likely to come as standard, and offers similar times to DC?

Thanks.

I’m not sure why the EU did not go for the more elegant solution of beefing up the Type 2 standard so it could accept greater than 43kW – which is what in effect Tesla have done (we call it the ‘Tesla Type 2′). When I first came across the Type 2 used for DC I had though this was what they would do and was surprised to see the bulky Combo CCS design. My guess its the effect of having too many companies at the table – Tesla have the advantage of dong their own thing.

Profile photo of Joe J
        Joe J
        Participant

Oh, sorry and one more thing. When my dad took a test Drive of a LHD Europe Model S, it looked like the Model S had a Type 2 Menekes port only, but how does this allow Tesla’s Supercharging, and where does the proprietary Tesla Port come into play in all this?

Good question. The Tesla Type 2 port can effectively handle everything you throw at (or through) it – Supercharging included. Basically the proprietary Tesla connector is used in the States, with EU models having the Tesla Type 2 instead.

Profile photo of Wolfman
    Wolfman
    Participant

Hey Guys,
    I have just ordered a Mitsubishi Outlander GX3h through Motability. Although I had a current generation Prius for five years before going on the scheme I am totally new to plug-in hybrids. I have realised that I have a couple of other issues too.

I am wondering what extra cables I might need? I have been told to get at least a ‘type 2′ 5m cable??? Is this right?

I have no idea which cards I will need. I am signing up with Ecotricity this weekend for my home use. I believe their charging points are free but you need one of their cards. Which others are worth having?

I have arranged for a 32A home charger to be installed by Rolec next week. That should do a good job, I hope but is there a benefit to switching between differing chargers when out on the road? What I am asking is, will it help to keep the battery conditioned?

I have heard of the Tesla chargers. Do I assume that they are only for Tesla cars?

Any other advice will be gratefully received as I intend to make the absolute most out of having this car. 80% of my journeys are local these days, so I should see quite a benefit.

I have to say I am really impressed with the Zap-Map site. It seems mohave far more detail about charging points than others. Is there an iPhone or iPad app for it yet?

Hi there,

Good choice, we were fortunate to be able to test drive the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV last week and I personally really enjoyed it.

I definitely recommend getting a Type 1 to Type 2 (mennekes) cable as this is the connection the majority of the points in the UK are equipped with.

In terms of rapid charging you do not have to worry about cables as all units have a tethered cable. All you need to do is identify the Rapid points with a CHAdeMO connector so you can plug-in to the Outlander. This is easy on Zap-Map Live; by using the filters in the left hand panel you can see just the rapid charging points and then select 50kW JEVS to only see those with CHAdeMO connectors.

Have a look around your area on our map and click on points to see what connections they have. The Outlander has a Type 1 inlet so whatever cable you get it is always going to have a Type 1 on one end.

In regards to cards, Ecotricity is a good one to get and your right they are free to use. It really depends which network operates in your area, again I would suggest exploring the map and clicking on points to see which networks operate them. In general though, if you have an Ecotricity card, a Charge Your Car Card, a POLAR card and a POD Point card you will have access to the majority of points in the UK. CYC and POLAR both have smartphone apps if you don’t want to carry around a wallet full of cards. Find out more on our Public Charging Networks page.

Unfortunately, you are right to assume that the Tesla Superchargers are only for Tesla customers.

Really glad you are a fan of the site, we like to think that our charging point data and content is the best out there. There will be a Zap-Map App for IOS and Android in the new year, we are aiming for a end of January/ start of February release – really excited about it!

Hope this helped. Feel free to shoot over any more queries.

Many thanks

Ed (Zap-Map)

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Hi

I hope to lick up my Mitsubishi Phev this Friday. As we do a lot of caravanning will it be possible to charge the car up from the external power socket on the caravan?

Thank you

Mike

Hi Mike

Would that be a commando socket then? If so it is not recommended but is possible if you can track down the right cable. We would advise sticking to the type 1 and type 2 public charging points available. See them all on our charging point map

Thanks

Ed (Zap-Map)

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Hi Ed

The caravan has mains electric with the external socket being a standard 3pin square domestic socket which would take a Portable Mode 2 13A J1772 EVSE with 13A Domestic Plug. Most campsite we have visited have a mains supply of 16A.

Would this be possible?

Thanks.

Mike

Hi Mike

Pretty sure it would be fine – here is a video showing all the ways you can charge the Outlander PHEV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipww1QSv714

Skip to 1 minute…

Hope this helps

Thanks

Ed

Profile photo of jon
        jon
        Participant

just tried to acess the video…….. signed into both Zap and my Google account………. I get sorry private and then almost impossible to use the return to orignal page….

Profile photo of bev
    bev
    Participant

Hi everyone, I am picking my new Nissan Leaf mobility car up on 2nd may but have to travel from Barnsley where I am getting it from as there is no advanced payment to Sunderland and was wondering if anyone can work out the quickest route out for me where there is rapid charges as I will need to charge between barnsley & sunderland in order to make it home. Hope someone can help me.

Profile photo of Derek
    Derek
    Participant

Hi
    I’m totally new to the EV world, having taken delivery of my BMW i3 REV a fortnight ago. I love the beast but with an upcoming need to drive from Sussex to Stockport, I’ve begun looking at likely stop points to recharge en route. I’m beginning to wonder if I’ve chosen the wrong manufacturer, given the apparent scarcity of compatible rapid charge points for the BMW DC system and am thinking I perhaps should have gone the Mitsubishi PHEV route. I’d very much welcome any advice you could offer – and also which charge cards you would recommend that I sign up to.
    Many thanks
    Derek

Hi Derek

If you are making long journeys the Outlander PHEV offers lightly more flexibility having a petrol engine in addition to a battery, especially if there is not a charging point available on route. However, having said that the i3 is a great car and more and more charging CCS charging points are being installed nationwide making longer commutes in battery electric vehicles with the combined charging system more doable.

The three main operators installing CCS points across the UK are Charge Your Car, POLAR and Ecotricity. I would recommend getting a membership to these – find out more on out Public Networks page.

Hope this helps.
      Ed (Zap-Map)

Profile photo of Paul S
    Paul S
    Participant

Any chance of being able to search by more than one charger connector? I am just in the process of buying a Tesla (Type 2 connector) but have also purchased the Chademo(JEVS) adaptor. It would be helpful to be able to search for both Tesla Superchargers and JEVS on the same map.

Thanks

Paul S

Hi Paul

We are currently developing Zap-Map V3 due for release later this year which will bring in this functionality to the desktop version. Right now, it is possible to search charge points by multiple speeds and connector as well as by EV model via our mobile APP, more info and download links here – https://www.zap-map.com/app/.

Ed (Zap-Map)

Profile photo of Richiec
    Richiec
    Participant

Good morning,

Firstly great site with lots of detail, which I love. I currently considering a B class sport premium model to purchase, but I’m a little confused. Mercedes-Benz information isn’t great, I’m trying to establish the maximum charge rate for the vehicle. I occasionally drive over 100 miles in a day and would need a fast charger (30mins 80%). On one page it says fast charge ok and on another it says no?

Please help.

Thanks
    Richard

Profile photo of Al
    Al
    Participant

I have had an Outlander PHEV for a fortnight now and the first fuel refill having done my normal commute with a charge at both ends was a pleasant surprise in MPG achieved.

I had to buy a Type 2 cable for the charge at work but that will pay for itself in no time, however I am wondering if I made the wrong choice of a 16A cable instead of 32A having tried to use a Polar charger elsewhere at the weekend – failed completely because it was in an underground car park, the app could not connect and I had only just signed up and didn’t have the RFID card. I noticed that the options at the charge point in the car park were 3 pin 13A or Type 2 32A – and looking at the Live Map it seems as if this is more often than not the case.

As I understand it the Outlander only goes to 16A on Type 2? Presumably on these odd occasion that I am not using the tethered cable at home, or my 16A untethered at work I can only use the ‘work’ cable on the few 16A public charge points I notice around me but not the 32A charge points as they will not automatically step down to 16A because that is all the car can draw? Does that make any sense as a question!? (can you tell I’m not an electrician!)

It seems to me that possibly I should have opted for the 32A cable from EV Connectors rather than 16A – unfortunately when I called with a couple of queries before ordering I heard ‘most people go for the 16A cable’ in answer to my question as to which to chose. Not their fault. I should probably done EVEN more research than I already thought I had

Profile photo of Squiggles
      Squiggles
      Participant

Since you asked this in June (It’s now September) you probably already know, but there’s no problem using your 16A cable with 32A chargers because the PHEV only draws 16A regardless of charger. You would have wasted money getting a 32A cable. If in the future, you get another EV, it may use another type of inlet connector (like a mennekes) so even future-proofing isn’t an argument to go for a 32A cable for the PHEV.

Profile photo of Al
        Al
        Participant

Thanks. The question was June 15 so 15 months ago, not three :D and I have never risked it because I was never quite certain (and I always forgot to ask the dealer when they came to collect for a service)

Profile photo of stooie
    stooie
    Participant

For the writers of this page, you are showing the US input connection for the Volvo XC90 T8 (all versions)

For your information the connection is Mennekes Type 2 for the UK.

Cheers!

Sorry about that, our mistake. Should be displaying correctly now. Thank you for the heads up.

Thanks
      Ed – Zap-Map

Profile photo of thesalfordone
    thesalfordone
    Participant

Okay, this is all very confusing. Just got a new Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GX3h Auto. Brilliant car. Love it. But nowhere to plug it in, as I live in an apartment. Can’t get to speak to anyone at Chargemaster to install a charging point in our building car park as they never call me back. Had the car 8 days and no charge left in the battery. Bought a ‘Charge Your Car’ access card and found a number of charge points in Manchester today. But oops, the only cable I had with the car is for domestic use only and a completely different size. And all the points I found have no tethered cable. So went to Halfords to buy one but they had no idea what I was talking about. Phoned the dealer that supplied the car and they confirmed there wasn’t another cable hidden in the car and I would have to buy one. Had also found a source online that sells them and will deliver direct, but then the dealer told me I really should buy Mitsubishi to avoid problems with the warranty. Turns out these are twice the price of online cables, and right now by money saving mission is starting to look a little dodgy. Tethered cable charge points appear to be the best option but the only one I can find in Manchester is Manchester Metropolitan University. Can’t tell whether it’s inside the campus or not. Can I assume it wouldn’t be on zap map unless it was public? Any any other advice for a novice EV driver? Can you recommend anyone other than Chargemaster to install a charging point in the building. Thanks!

We can see you are having a hard time so far with your new EV! probably best if you give us a call and we can talk you through your options. Phone 0117 929 8855 and ask for Ben.

Profile photo of rajugowda
    rajugowda
    Participant

I need some clarity about the mercredes b class sport electric versus electric art. when i use the filter to see which fast chargers i can utilise – it shows more for the electric art model than the sport electric – is this correct? I think the inlets and charging capabilities are the same. thanks Raj

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© Copyright Next Green Car Ltd 2017