This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  ChrisTill 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV remains the UK’s best-selling plug-in car and the Nissan LEAF the most popular pure-electric model, according to officia
    [See the full post at: Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and Nissan LEAF lead UK EV sales charts]

stevethayne
    Participant

An increasing demand for the Chademo adapter. Hope it will be met by an increasing supply.

ChrisTill
    Participant

I’m finding it hard to understand why the longer range Zoe isn’t ahead of the old Leaf. Is it a supply issue? Can people not cope with a car smaller than a Leaf in the ongoing SUV apocalypse?

And it’s about time we had separate lists for EVs and PHEVs. PHEVs aren’t electric cars. I’m sorry but Mercedes don’t deserve any credit whatsoever for putting in the minimal effort they have up until this point.

UK13 AMP
    Participant

It is a supply issue, my daughter has ordered a new Zoe and has a delivery date of July!!

ChrisTill
      Participant

My 2 year PCP on the old battery Zoe ends in September. Should I contact my dealer now then to make sure I can get a 200 mile one in time? Seems a bit ridiculous but I don’t want to be stuck without a car.

UK13 AMP
        Participant

Yes I would pop in to your dealer to get your next car lined up…. Now that Theresa May has announced the end of the cars with exhaust pipes the queues for EV’s have started forming already….

Micky
          Participant

To UK 13 Amp, Teresa May and the rest of Europe have NOT ordered the end of the exhaust pipe. dirty Petrol and Diesel Hydrids will still be allowed as long as they have a tiny electric motor somewhere!!

Micky
    Participant

I haven’t seen a Mitsubishi on a rapid charger for as long as I remember ever since Ecotricity started to demand payment for charging.

It proves what everyone is saying – that PHEV drivers , of all persuasions, are just using the “plug in” label to save on personal tax.

I for one are fed up with pure EV figures being distorted with PHEV cars included.

We should have separate charts and big tax benefits for genuine EV drivers.

Incidentally Steves comment about the “Betamax” Chad connector made me laugh. With BMW, Merc, Volkswagen, Jaguar, Hyundi, Zoe, Porsche, Mini, Seat, Land Rover, Kia, Audi, Fiat, Ford and all the others going CCS then Nissan/Mitsubishi are ploughing a lone furrow and the Chad is going to go the same way as floppy discs and cassette tapes!

stevethayne
    Participant

I happen to agree with Micky. The Chademo standard will go. So will CCS. Long term wireless charging will become the standard, probably something like that offered by Witricity that allows faster charging speeds.

In the short to medium term, in the UK the best selling cars continue to support Chademo. The Leaf, in addition to Kia, Tesla through their officially supported adapter. In the future there will be a leagacy solution for the cars with ccs / chademo / AC when they are no longer supported.

Micky
    Participant

Steve

Why do you turn everything into a battle?

CCS has been picked by nearly all EV manufacturers, including Kia and Tesla. The rumors are now strong that Teslas model 3 when it eventually hits Europe will have a CCS.

The high power capable CCS will be around and more importantly prospering long after the 50kw limited Chademo has stopped being fitted as standard to vehicles. Plus the car does not need an additional separate, completely outdated, Type 1 socket.

Of course one day CCS will be superseded, just as everything has its day.

The good news is that either Nissan or an enterprising company could produce an aftermarket CCS kit to replace the Leafs Chad. socket.

Then people who wish to keep an old Leaf running will be able to.

stevethayne
    Participant

Hi Micky.

I just think the number of E V’s on the roads with a particular standard is more important than how many manufacturers support a particular standard. This is what will define the charging infrastructure we see in the UK for the foreseeable future. And while there continue to be a lot of EV’s with Chademo,CCS, and AC, we will continue to see these standards widely supported. A standard will only become out of date once cars supporting it stop being sold.

Agree with you about the type 1 socket on the Leaf, would be quite happy for that to be made type 2. It makes little difference in the uk where most public chargers are untethered type 2, so you just use your type 2 to type 1 adapter. The one time it made a difference for me was when helping out a Chargemaster exec who was locked out of his Tesla. We went to retrieve the key, hoped to plug in at the home charger – but it was tethered type 2 so unable to use it. Ended up at a Chargemaster office using their untethered type 2 socket.

Maulden Merc
    Participant

#Chris
    Let’s celebrate the adoption of EVs and PHEVs, after all we both need the same charging infrastructure and in E-mode PHEVs are also zero emission. I have owned my C350e for just over a year, 7,500 zero emission miles of 13,000 driven. Wanting an estate car with a sporty drive, the only EV option today is PHEV. I charge at home and at the office but for 200+ mile journeys many more rapid charge locations need to be available for me to choose an EV as my next car.

ChrisTill
      Participant

That’s impressive. But I still want separate lists so we can clearly see what’s going on.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© Copyright Next Green Car Ltd 2018