This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dullers Dullers 3 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Dullers
    Dullers
    Participant

Hi. I’m new to this site and will, as of tomorrow, be a proud owner of a Nissan Leaf Tekna.

However, I am reading so much about charge points and connector types I’m driving myself crazy so here’s my question..

On this great Zap-Map site one of my local public charging sites which appears when I search by EV model describes itself as “Rating: 7KW 32A, Supply: 1-Phase AC Socket: Type 2 Mennekes”. Does this mean it has a Type 2 Mennekes connection at the car end (in which case my understanding is that I wont be able to connect to it)?

I hope somebody can help clarify this for me.

Thanks

David

Hi there, exciting news about the LEAF! We ourselves just took delivery of the very same car!

As for making sense of the charge point information, the type 2 refers to the connector on the charge point side. Almost always, 7kW Type 2 Mennekes charge points are untethered. That is to say there is no cable attached. This means you will need a Type 1 to Type 2 cable to connect to the charging point (these usually come as standard with the car).

The only points this does not apply to are rapid charge points and type 1 charge points as these are fitted with a tethered cable which plugs into you vehicle. This means that for the Nissan LEAF you can only use rapid points with a CHAdeMO connection.

I hope this now makes a little more sense. Please feel free to fire away with any further queries.

Thanks

Ed
    Zap-Map

Profile photo of Dullers
    Dullers
    Participant

Hi, Ed
    Thanks so much for responding and with such useful information too. I was debating with myself whether to get a separate type 1 to type 2 cable but now I think it would indeed be wise

I don’t usually make such big decisions like buying an electric car but it’s so reassuring to have expertise like yours out there to borrow from time to time

i hope you’re enjoying reading the Leaf manuals as much as I am :-)

Thanks again
    David

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© Copyright Next Green Car Ltd 2018