This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  stevethayne 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author

Tesla is preparing to dramatically expand its public charging network by the end of 2017, in preparation for the launch of its Model 3 and increasing
    [See the full post at: Tesla plans network expansion]

Muskgirl
    Participant

10,000 WORLDWIDE is pathetic.

Most of these will be in the states, I notice the article carefully does not state how many will be in the UK.

The main problem is Teslas love affair with “destination chargers” this sounds great but they are just low powered chargers in Hotels and similar where you are supposed to spend several hours charging. Even at the better 22w chargers a 100w Tesla will take over FOUR HOURS to charge.

This is not the way we use cars in the UK.

I don’t stay in hotels every night. I go somewhere and either rapid recharge on route or recharge to give me enough electricity to get home.

Whatsnext
    Participant

According to Zap Map there are 183 Tesla charging locations in the UK, and the majority of these are “Destination Chargers”.

This tiny number is a dreadful indictment to Teslas disregard of the UK market.

The vast majority of Teslas model 3 users are going to be using Chad convertors on free and 9p rapid chargers instead of Teslas £20 a time cost to charge or whatever it will be by time the model 3 hits the streets.

If, and its a big if, Tesla can produce a model 3 for under £20,000 as promised then they need ten times as many dedicated charge points, but Im not holding my breath.

stevethayne
    Participant

Compared to other networks Tesla has a significant number of Rapids or Superchargers already. For instance, the Polar network has less than 30 rapid locations in England and Wales, excluding the many it has in Milton Keynes.

Of note as well is that the Tesla chargers are all funded by the company, by private money. The other networks have chargers most of which were funded by us as the tax payer.

Also of note is the fact that Tesla Superchargers are often able to charge up to eight cars at a time. This contrasts with the other networks rapid chargers which often can only charge three or fewer cars at a time, leading to likely queues as ev’s become more popular. So Tesla has a larger number of chargers than the number of its locations suggests.

As a Nissan Leaf driver, I welcome this news It takes pressure off the charging points I use, as Tesla cars can and do use chargers on all the other networks as well as their own.

Personally, have found destination chargers more helpful than Rapids sometimes. For instance, when I go to the Shropshire Food Centre near Ludlow and use their cafe and farm shop, I am there for an hour and a half anyway – plugged in to their charge point that is free to use and needs no card or app (Zero Net network). This plugging in takes seconds, and means I don’t need to stop and wait at the Shrewsbury Rapid for half an hour. Everyone’s needs and experiences vary, but destination chargers are important to me – have other EV drivers say similar.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© Copyright Next Green Car Ltd 2018