Role Title: Mobile Android App Developer
Reporting to: Lead Mobile App Developer
Date advertised: August 2021
Employee Referral Bounty eligible
Zap-Map is the UK’s leading app and digital platform for Electric Vehicle (EV) drivers enabling them to search for charge points, plan journeys, pay on participating networks, and share updates with other EV drivers. We aim to provide EV drivers with peace of mind and the confidence to drive any length of journey in their EV.
We are a high growth company in scale-up phase with a market-leading technology brand. With the financial backing of Good Energy Plc, the leading renewable energy company, Zap-Map’s mission is to accelerate the shift to electric vehicles and help the drive towards zero carbon mobility.
Zap-Map is the go-to data source for EV drivers in the UK and we provide market leading tools for current and prospective EV drivers. Our highly-rated apps have enjoyed rapid growth in the UK with over 400K downloads to date and are central to our digital strategy, serving over 130K monthly active users. With over 10 years of industry experience and unique EV data sets, Zap-Map also offers a range of B2B services including promotion, content, data and market insights.
Given the impact of Covid-19 on company operations across the UK, we are adopting a hybrid approach for remote and office working. While working from home is supported, all employees are based in the South West so that they can attend meetings in our BS1 office as required (typically once or twice per week).
With plans to broaden our reach beyond a consumer offering and expand internationally, we are seeking to expand our applications team who are tasked with the responsibility to maintain and develop our key digital products; the objective being to deliver a market-leading experience to our EV driving consumers, business partners and their customers.
We are currently looking for an experienced Android App Developer to support our applications and services. In the role, you will work closely with the Lead Developers and Technical Architect to use the latest technologies to create simple and elegant solutions to complex software problems.
All applicants must have a strong history of building quality applications, and be highly motivated to provide technical input to the operation and ongoing improvement of our digital services. The role offers an opportunity to play a key role in a new and disruptive sector, creating well-written software which users appreciate and which ultimately benefits the environment.
The successful applicant will join a team that includes app and web-developers at lead and senior levels, with an external team providing additional resources. As a company, we always welcome ambitious and motivated people with new ideas, who want to contribute to continuous improvements as our operation matures and the team grows. Professional development is encouraged, and training will be provided where required.
Key duties and responsibilities
* To maintain and develop high quality code to maintain and develop our apps and services based on agreed tech requirements
* Work closely with the Lead App Developer and wider tech team to understand and refine requirements, write and execute testing protocols, and create product documentation
* Work with Technical Leads and CTO to develop solutions that meet strict security, data privacy, performance and resiliency requirements
* To provide expert knowledge and input where relevant so as to ensure all products are kept up to-date and not allowed to become obsolete
* Provide hands-on technical knowledge in the development, operation, and ongoing improvement of Android-based digital services
* Ensure solutions adhere to agreed architectural approaches, and are delivered on time, meeting end user expectations
Essential technical skills
* Degree-level educated – 2.1 or above
* At least 3 years commercial experience as native Android developer
* Commercial experience working both in Java and Kotlin
* Extensive experience of RESTful API and third party integration
* Understanding of SOLID principles and Object Oriented Programming
* Knowledge of data structures and algorithms
* Good knowledge of of Android XML layout system, and material design
* Experience with MVVM, Jetpack components and modern Android development stack
* Experience/knowledge of release management and Git version control
Preferential technical skills
* Commercial experience of working with Google Maps or other mapping platforms
* Commercial experience of implementing e-commerce platform or payment gateways
* Experience of Kotlin Coroutines, Flows
* Experience/knowledge of Automated UI test experience with Espresso
* Commercial experience of Apple or Google subscription services
* Experience/knowledge of Android Auto or wearables
Essential team skills
* Ability to communicate confidently with people from any level of the business
* Creative-minded and able to identify and solve problems
* Commercially aware and able to focus on business targets
* Ability to manage multiple projects effectively and perform under pressure
The EV market is growing at an extraordinary pace. Working at Zap-Map means working in an innovative organisation, where new ideas and developments need to be actioned and deployed quickly. As one of the leading aggregator businesses in this space, you will have the chance to join a dynamic team and actively contribute to a more sustainable future.
For the role advertised, we are offering a competitive salary plus new benefits package:
* Salary up to £45,000 depending on experience
* Performance-related annual bonus scheme
* Pension & Benefits scheme
* Flexible working options available
* Professional training to extend your skills
How to apply
For more information about the role, contact us at the following email address, or to formally apply, send a covering letter and CV to email@example.com.
Direct applications only please. No CVs will be acknowledged or accepted from recruitment consultants.