Westminster appoints Siemens to install 500 ubitricity chargers

Plans to install up to 160 ubitricity EV charge points across Teesside have been approved

Nic Ryan

Middlesbrough Council’s Executive has approved plans to install up to 160 new electric vehicle (EV) charge points at 90 locations across Middlesbrough.

The partnership with ubitricity will increase access for local residents without driveways or access to EV charging at home to on-street charging - more than £200,000 of external funding is being invested to put charging infrastructure where it’s most needed – including in terraced streets.

“This initiative will make it much easier for people to charge their electric vehicle in a simple and convenient way, while removing what we know is a significant barrier to people choosing to go electric,” said Cllr Peter Gavigan, Executive Member for Environment at Middlesbrough Council.

“To make sure people in Middlesbrough have the best access to a charging point, most will be installed on residential streets which either have no parking restrictions, or in those areas where resident parking schemes are in place.

“We aim to tackle climate change head on in Middlesbrough and schemes like this one underline that commitment.”

ubitricity chargers are designed to fit into existing street hardware such as lamp posts and bollards, so can be rolled out quickly in residential areas. 

Middlesbrough Council will earn an income from the charge points - 5% of the fees generated. £125,750 of grant funding from the Government’s On-Street Residential Chargepoint Scheme will cover 60% of the cost of installation, ubitricity will cover the remaining 40%.

Thanks to ubitricity’s Live Data partnership with Zapmap, it’s charge points are easy to find complete with live status and availability information on the Zapmap app or desktop map.